R is for Rocky Rooster...
One of my best pets ever was a rooster. When I was in my 20's I got a baby chick. It turned out to be a rooster. My dad helped me built a little chicken coup for him. I loved my rooster (not a lot of people can say that.) He would come when I called him, and would jump up on my lap to be petted. He was as good as a pit bull guard dog. He protected his territory with ferocity. One day he actually had my nephew trapped up on our slippery slide. He was afraid to come down on account of that rooster. Another time when my mom was in his back yard, she shook her foot at him to scare him away. Now, I don't know if chickens can see color, but she had on red shoes and he attacked her like a torro attacking a bull fighter with his red cape. Sadly, a couple years later I had to have him put to sleep. Yes, I paid to have a chicken euthanized. " Should have just chopped his head off", I have heard many times by insensitive people. Nope, I held him in my arms and scratched his neck as he drifted off to that great barn yard in the sky!
4 comments:
You bust me up! Not everyone can say they had a pet Rooster. That's awesome.
Love your picture of you and Miguel! Is that new, or am I not very observant?
I would never have guessed. A rooster?
I wish I would have been around for that
I remember when you had a rooster...I don't know if he was the same one or not....but that is so sweet to 'hear' you talk about him.
I hope you are printing up these memories..they are very precious to read about.
Post a Comment